480 grams /2 cups sugar
190 grams/ 1 1/4 cups plain flour
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon vinegar
165 ml brandy
225 grams butter, plus an extra 35 grams melted butter
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
250 ml/ 1 cup cream, plus extra whipped for serving
strawberries, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 20cm cake tin.
- Place the eggs and 1 cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until pale. Add the flour and mix to combine. Combine the milk, vinegar, 40 ml brandy and melted butter in a small bowl and then add to the egg mixture and beat to combine. Add bicarbonate of soda, mix well and pour mixture into prepared tin.
- Place cake in the oven to bake for about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce, place butter, remaining cup sugar, cream and remaining 125ml brandy in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring until well combined. Remove from heat.
- Remove cake from oven. Prick all over with a skewer and pour half the sauce evenly over. Allow to sit until sauce has soaked in, about 5 minutes.
- To serve, slice pudding and place on plate. Serve with whipped cream and remaining brandy sauce. Serve with strawberries if using.